Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Jealousy and Envy

I have an argument with my friend last night. I was talking about how my girl friend was nice, but he felt that I was jealous her. Jealousy typically occurs when a valued relationship is being threatened by a rival. Jealousy and envy is related each other, however, they are pretty different, also.

Jealousy concerns something one has and is afraid of loosing, while envy concerns something one does not have and either wants to acquire. I admit that I envy her, but not jealous. I believe that both jealousy and envy are more self-love than love. It is more important to love my friend than to envy her. If I have healthy self-esteem, I may not envy her.

2 comments:

marvin_k said...

Hi Janelle, I have read your blog =P. Actually it's a little bit confusing to differentiate between jealous and envy. However, I agree with your explanation about them. Sometimes it's normal to feel that, I believe every people have this feeling too when there is a somebody seems more than us. The most important thing, how can you handle this feeling, so it's not cause resenful, bitterness, or even aversion. In addition, It's possible what you have, he/she doesn't has because we all know nobody is perfect. So, keep believe in yourself, and be proud of it =)

Miranda said...

Janelle, i like your article!
I never think about the difference between envy and jealous. Your article let me think about the same exprience as you. Sometimes, when I see some pretty girl I will think that I am not as beautiful as her, and I will envy them. In other hand, I will try to improve myself not only the beauty but also my inside beauty. So I think envy can make us more confident.